Sunday, March 25, 2012

Configuration failing: The path is not of a legal form.

When I push Add in the configuration dialog, I cannot even get to the first page of the configuration wizard, due to the following error, in several solutions (but not in several others). All have at least one existing configuration (necessarily, to get passwords for connections).
**
An error occurred while a new configuration was being added.
Additional Information:
The path is not of a legal form. (mscorlib)

**

PS: How have the rest of you been posting? Passport hasn't been working much this week, so I've been unable to post. Is there a way to post without using passport? Please tell me if so :)

What types of configuration (XML configuration file, Environment variable, etc) do your packages use?|||This is a known issue when you edit the package "standalone",
i.e. without creating the SSIS project. A workaround is to create
the project, add the package to the project, and then edit
the configuration.

We plan to fix this issue for SP1 (it was reported too late to
consider changing this for RTM release).

Thanks,
Michael.|||(Sorry, I have to wade through a lot of script errors and bad passport certificate errors to be able to post to this forum.)
The configuration involved is an environment variable pointing at an XML config file.
The package is in a project in a solution.
However, the solution has two packages, one of which calls the other.
Because of the bug that Execute SSIS task cannot handle relative paths, we have to use a mapped drive to call the package, so the target package is called via a mapped drive fully qualified file path.
I've since discovered that the bug here is that if the package is opened from the mapped drive, even though it is the same file, the Package Configuration Wizard will give this mscorlib error. The workaround for this bug is to be careful and be sure to first close the package, then open it by double-clicking it in the solution, when you need to examine or edit package configurations.
Of course, I hope this bug gets fixed, but truly, it is not nearly as bad as the bug that relative paths get wrecked and fail in the Execute SSIS task.
|||I see - this indeed seems like a different bug.
Could you please open a bug on betaplace?|||re: bug on betaplace
I invested some time trying to get into betaplace, which involved waving my cursor around to find an invisible button I had to click, and then getting to a page which said I would be granted access at some point. I tried several times on successive days, but I never got further than that. I posted my travails several times to the newsgroup, but noone had any suggestions, so I finally gave it up as something that only costs me time, and brought no benefit to anyone (as I was never able to get to a point of actually accessing any information, much less posting new bugs).
Could you open the bug on betaplace? I have a suspicion that it probably works much better for people working at Microsoft :)

|||OK, I'll open a bug directly in our bug tracking system.|||Hi,
I know its probably to late for you ( Perry_Rapp )
but
for other who trying to find solution to the "The path is not of a legal form" problem here it is:

1. open a new project/solution
2. copy the old project\s to the new "solution folder"
3. add the old project\s to the new solution from the new "solution folder".
(right click on "solution" -> Add -> Existing Project... )

Note:
if you have virtual folders in your solution first add the old project\s to the new solution root and after saving .. create the virtual folders

No comments:

Post a Comment