Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Configuration File Woes!!

I have a package for which I have set ProtectionLevel to DontSaveSenstive.

I connect to a SQL Database which supports mixed authentication.

To connect to this server in a flexible way, I have enabled SSIS package configuration.

I have edited my dtsconfig file with notepad and put the right password there (I am able to use management studio to connect to that database using same password).

Now when I come back to BIDS and double click on my connection manager, it doesn't read the configuration from the config file. (it just has a blank password). So it seems that BIDS doesn't read the config file.

What can I do to make BIDS read the config file.

Also, is there a way to encrypt the password (without keys) in the configuration file?

regards,
Abhishek.

Is the package actually failing to validate or run? I think the password box is blank as a security measure, not because the password isn't set.

On encrypting the configs, check out these posts:

http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2007/04/26/SSIS_3A00_-Storing-passwords.aspx

http://curionorg.blogspot.com/2007/05/encrypted-sql-server-ssis.html

|||I can understand why the SSIS team has left the password blank. My question is where should the password be entered.

I have entered the password in the package configuration file and BIDS does not read that password.

So it seems to be that once I have set the package security to DontSaveSenstive, I have to enter the password in config file AND in the empty text box in BIDS.

I don't understand why BIDS doesn't read the config file.

|||It does in my tests. Can you provide some more details about how the configuration file is set up and referenced from the package?

No comments:

Post a Comment